The newly formed Yemassee Revitalization Corporation conducted its first annual Yemassee Town and Country Holiday Home Tour on Saturday 12/12. Three local churches, four local family homes and two plantations were on the tour schedule for a moderate fee, with the proceeds going towards the goals of keeping downtown Yemassee beautiful (specifically the train station) while educating its citizens regarding the history of the area. Richfield Plantation, located in the nearby village of McPhersonville served as headquarters for the tour and part-owner Melvin Lane doubled as the caterer (brother Gregorie Lane is also part-owner), serving up a delicious shrimp and grits (with venison sausage) for lunch. The Sloman House downtown was transformed in 2007 into a rental cottage and offers a 'vintage' feel with its hand-crank phonograph that is in good working order. The Mays House downtown was the former home of Dr. Mays, who served as the town physician and pharmacist for 35 years. The Zahler House downtown, home of noted sportsman Mickey Zahler, is constructed of wood from Cotton Hall Plantation. All three homes held sporting collectibles in plain view which demonstrate the inherent good that came from the culture of the outdoors that is part of Yemassee. Finally, a trip down River Road led to Old Combahee Plantation, which has been protected in perpetuity with a conservation easement by the family that has held it for five generations.
PhotosByJeffDennis: Richfield Plantation was built in 1875; Perhaps the recipe for the shrimp and grits came from this old cookbook, the view of Izard's Creek from the 25-foot bank at Old Combahee Plantation, granddaughter Anna Nell Welsh O'Quinn and daughter Linda Nell Mays O'Quinn share the stories of Dr. Mays with tour patrons